NEW EMDG SCHEME- 2021/22
The new Export Market Development Grants scheme will be significantly different from the past, which will provide reimbursement to businesses after they spent money on marketing activities, based on the upfront grant agreement, offered by Austrade. Austrade gives greater upfront funding certainty to exporters so that they have more confidence to schedule their international marketing activities in 2021/22 and beyond.
Small to medium enterprises (SMEs) will be able to apply for grants of up to $770,000 per applicant, and over up to eight years (not necessarily consecutively) for eligible promotional activities.
To be eligible, SMEs will need to be export-ready and have a turnover of less than $20 million.
Grants will be available in three stages called tiers, designed to provide different levels of support to SMEs as they grow their export markets at the different stages of their export journey:
- Tier 1: for eligible SMEs who are new to exporting, grants of up to $40,000 per year for two years.
- Tier 2: for eligible exporters who plan to expand their presence in current markets, or enter new markets, grants of up to $80,000 per year for three years.
- Tier 3: for eligible exporters who plan to make a strategic shift in their exporting business, grants of up to $150,000 per year for three years.
How will EMDG work from 1 July 2021?
From 1 July 2021 the EMDG program will become an eligibility-based grants program, and the process for receiving a grant will be as follows:
- You apply for a grant before you spend money on promotional activities.
- Once all applications have been assessed, Austrade offers a grant agreement to each eligible applicant.
- You enter into a grant agreement with Austrade, then undertake your promotional activities as agreed in the grant agreement.
- You request milestone payments in accordance with your grant agreement.
- Your grant agreement will set out when your milestone payments should be made and what you need to do in order to receive these payments.
- You need to spend at least an equal amount of your own money on eligible expense.
This grant opportunity will open on 09:00 AEST, 16 August 2021 and close at 17:00 AEDT on 30 November 2021. Late applications will not be accepted. More information: https://www.austrade.gov.au/australian/export/export-grants/emdg-from-1-july-2021